The Packaging Rap
SKS Bottle & Packaging Newsletter
How to Choose a Cap Liner
Not all plastic caps or metal closures have the same lining so when packaging products it is important to know which cap liner suits the product packaging best. Let's take a look at the different liners SKS has to offer for your packaging solutions.
F217 liners are a variety of polyethylene foam liner that can be used with metal, plastic or glass. This liner has a layer of low density foam between two layers of PE film. F217 liners are odor resistant and pulp dust free. They also have good chemical resistance and a low transmission rate. F217 liners are commonly used in packaging bath and body products, cosmetics, beverages, foods, chemicals and pharmaceuticals.SKS offers F217 liners in a variety of caps.
- Black, White and Phenolic Plastic Dome Caps
- Black, White, Red, and Gold Ribbed Plastic Caps
- White Child Resistant Caps
- Black, White, Pink, Phenolic and Silver Smooth Plastic caps
- Aluminum Metal Screw Caps
Click below to browse SKS' collection of F217 lined caps.
Polyethylene or PE foam liners are a common type of liner. This general-purpose liner offers good chemical resistance, and can be used with metal or plastic containers. PE lined caps can be used to package foods, liquids, beverages, cosmetics, and acidic products. It is not advised to use a PE liner with paints, lighter fluid, adhesives or polishes. SKS stocks PE lined caps in many colors and sizes
- Black Plastic Smooth Caps
- Black Matte Plastic Smooth Caps
- White Plastic Smooth Caps
- Silver Matte Plastic Smooth Caps
Click below to browse SKS' collection of PE lined Caps.
A PS22 liner is a pressure sensitive liner that adheres to plastic and glass containers once the cap has been securely screwed on. Upon removing the cap you will see the words "Sealed for your protection" printed on the liner. For maximum adherence it is recommended that you apply the cap when your container is fully dry and allow it to set for 24 hours prior to removing the cap. This seal preserves the freshness of non-perishable dry products including dry foods, bath and body products, and pharmaceuticals. It is not advised to use this liner with products containing oil.
Induction liners can be made with layers of pulpboard, wax and foil. There are different types of induction liners based on what the layers in the liner consist of. These liners are applied to the container with the use of an induction sealing machine. When the liner is heated, the wax melts to the container creating an airtight, hermetic seal.Here are the different types of induction seal liners offered with SKS caps:
- An HS 035 universal liner is a paper-backed aluminum foil coated liner, and is compatible with plastic and glass containers. SKS offers this liner in white disc top caps and black and natural twist top caps. This liner is used in packaging dry food, glass cleaning products and peroxide but it is not advised to use this liner with products containing oil.
- HS5-6F universal liners are made of paper-backed foil, and are compatible with plastic and glass containers. SKS offers this liner in black ribbed caps with the words "Sealed for your protection" printed on them. This liner works well with dry products, liquids, and personal care products.
- HSS-5.6/20 universal liners are made of white paper with a foam backing and are compatible with plastic and glass containers. SKS stocks this liner in white ribbed caps with the words "Sealed for your protection". This liner works well when packaging cosmetics, foods and pharmaceuticals.
- S70a/fs5-9 universal liners contain aluminum foil bonded to bleached kraft paper. These liners are compatible with plastic and glass containers. SKS offers this liner in white and black disc top caps. It can be used to package dry products, glass cleaners and peroxide.
- Tri-Foil liners contain aluminum foil and a layer of heat seal PET to a paper backing and are printed with the words "Sealed for Freshness." The foil seal maintains the freshness and taste of your products with its odor and taste resistant properties. SKS offers this liner in 70 mm ribbed white, black, brown and red plastic caps that are compatible with PET plastic jars. This liner is best used to package food products and personal care products.
- HS 90, or Heat Seal 90, induction liners are constructed of layers of bonded pulpboard, wax and aluminum foil; and are used on PET and PVC containers. SKS offers this liner in black and natural twist top caps. This liner can be used to package mouthwash, vegetable oil, and automotive fluids.
- A Safe-Gard 75 (SG75) induction liner is a layer of white lined pulpboard bonded to a layer of foil. When heated this liner provides an air and water tight seal. This liner is only to be used with PE containers. SKS offers this liner in black ribbed caps. Use this liner when packaging dry food, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, vinegar, shampoo and automotive fluids.
Click the button below to browse SKS' collection of induction lined caps.
SKS carries several metal closures that feature plastisol liners. A plastisol liner is a sealing gasket that lines the inside of the cap right where it meets the rim of the glass container. The liner melts to the container when it is properly heated to create a tamper evident seal. When first opening the container a popping noise indicates that the tamper evident seal has been broken. This airtight, hermetic seal prevents leakage and helps to extend the shelf life of products. Plastisol lined metal caps are used in canning food products and with liquids. SKS stocks several continuous thread and lug caps with plastisol liners:
- Metal Continuous Thread Caps available in White, Silver, Gold, Red, Black, and Printed Gold
- Metal Lug Caps are Offered in Silver, White, Black and Gold
Click below to browse SKS' collection of plastisol lined caps.
A polyseal liner is an LDPE cone liner that creates a wedge-type seal across the top of the container providing a leak proof seal for liquid products. Cone lined caps are not generally paired with plastic containers but are instead recommended for glass containers. Cone liners are a good packaging solution for essential oils and beverages.Click the button below to view SKS' selection of stress crack resistant phenolic cone lined caps.
Poly vinyl liners, or pulp/poly liners, are composed of poly-vinyl film adhered to a white pulp paper backing. This combination offers good chemical resistance for products of varying chemical pH. A PV liner is generally used when packaging cosmetics, bath and body products, liquids, oils, mild acids, and some medical or chemical products. Avoid using PV lined caps to package bleach or flammable products.SKS stocks plastic closures and metal caps with poly vinyl liners:
Click the button below to browse SKS' collection of PV lined caps.
Have your cap picked out but unsure of what container it is compatible with? With the SKS online catalog it is made simple to search the containers compatible with each cap. Let's say you've opted for the 'Product of the Month' red metal plastisol lined cap shown below. Search some recommended containers by clicking on the 'Add-on's button to the right of the price on the caps product page. Another option would be to look at the cap code. Notice where the stock number information is listed on the red caps product page, there is a column entitled 'Cap Code'. Under that notice these 70G caps have a cap code labeled 'S1', that code is the same for any other cap or container that also has a 70G or 70/450 neck finish. This means any bulk container with 'S1' listed under their cap codes will fit this cap. Browse around the website until finding the type of container you'd want, click on the product page and when looking at the bulk container stock number, simply make sure 'S1' is listed in the cap codes. It's that easy!
Product of the Month
Red Metal Plastisol Lined Caps
One of the SKS 2015 new products are these bright red metal plastisol lined caps. These caps feature a 70G or 70/450 neck finish making them compatible with the glass mason jars, glass mayo/economy jars and glass jelly jars. The plastisol liner will create a hermetic seal when properly heated and cooled, keeping products airtight and fresh for longer periods of time. When the cap is removed from the glass container, in addition to hearing a pop when the hermetic seal is broken for the first time, the tamper evident button will raise also signifying the product had not previously been opened. Opt for this attention grabbing metal closure to brighten up your food products packaging.