The Packaging Rap
SKS Bottle & Packaging Newsletter
DIY Cosmetics In SKS Containers
This plant-based, vegan, all-in-one beauty stick recipe from Soap Deli News can be used as a tinted lip balm, blush, and even an eyeshadow base. Conveniently package this recipe in our 1.5 oz paperboard push-up tubes.
- .25 oz candelilla wax - vegan alternative to Beeswax
- .75 oz babassu oil - helps moisturize without causing greasiness or acne
- .25 oz fractionated coconut oil - moisturizes without clogging pores or leaving skin oily
- .25 oz Bulgarian rose floral wax - gives recipe light rose fragrance
- .2 oz coral mica - lip and eye safe powdered resin dye colorant
- .05 oz blue mica - lip and eye safe powdered resin dye colorant
- .05 oz white mica - lip and eye safe powdered resin dye colorant
Paperboard tubes are renewable, biodegradable, and recyclable. The push-up tubes feature a fitted cap and free moving paperboard disk at the bottom. SKS offers brown paperboard push-up tubes in 0.3 oz, 0.5 oz, 1 oz, 1.5 oz, and 2 oz sizes. These eco-friendly tubes are made with an oil-resistant paper barrier making them appropriate for products like solid lotion, lip balm, or other cosmetics.
Finishing powder naturally absorbs sweat and oil, fills fine lines and large pores, and also creates a flawless, airbrushed end look. Learn how to make your own finishing powder with this recipe from Everything Pretty, packaged in our clear polystyrene jars with natural double sifters and lined matte silver caps.
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot powder - absorbs oils and promotes healing as it enters the skin
- 1 part clay (bentonite, kaolin, or green clay) - helps draw out excess oil or sebum from the skin
- Cacao powder or nutmeg (optional) - creates a darker shade of powder if desired
Polystyrene cosmetic jars with natural double sifters are available in a 10 ml, 20 ml, and 45 ml size. In addition to the lined matte silver caps, matte black, shiny black, and smooth white caps are also available. Each plastic cap option features an F217 or PE liner, which provides good resistance to acids, alkalis, solvents, alcohols, oils, and aqueous products. These cosmetic jars could be an excellent packaging solution for many other DIY cosmetic products, such as blush, eyeshadow, bronzer, and more.
- .5 oz roasted cocoa butter - hydrates and nourishes skin; improves elasticity
- .5 oz cupuacu butter - restores elasticity; hydrates and provides anti-oxidants
- .3 oz candelilla wax - hydrates dry and scaly skin for enhanced smoothness
- .3 oz acai berry oil - restores elasticity and instantly relieves dry cracked skin
- 1.2 oz sweet almond oil - lightweight carrier oil; absorbs and moisturizes easily
- .5 oz coral mica powder - lip safe powdered resin dye colorant
- .1 oz cera bellina wax - helps create glossiness
- 20 drops blood orange essential oil - helps detoxify and remove impurities
- 12 drops amyris essential oil - helps regenerate skin and slow aging
- 8 drops tea tree oil - helps relieve inflamed skin
White polypropylene double wall radius plastic jars with white lined dome caps are available in sizes ranging from 1/2 oz to 8 oz. Radius double wall jars feature inner and outer polypropylene walls, high durability, and oxygen barriers. The PE lined caps create a stable seal with good resistance to household cosmetics.
Understanding Neck Threading
There are many factors to consider when selecting a closure for your container. It is important that the cap properly fits the glass or plastic bottle or jar neck finish in order to obtain an accurate seal. Some containers feature a screw thread or continuous thread neck finish. This means they must be paired with continuous thread closures, which feature a spiral threaded design. Continuous thread closure sizes are expressed with two numbers separated by a hyphen or slash (ex. 24/410 or 24-410). The first number (ex. 24) refers to the millimeter diameter measured across the inside of the cap opening or the outside of the container threads. The second number (ex. 410) refers to the thread style. Other containers may feature a lug neck finish consisting of several tapered ridges. The internal protrusions on the corresponding lug caps intermesh with the threads on the container and require only a few degrees of rotation for proper application. Lug caps often feature plastisol liners that, when heated and cooled properly, adhere to the rim of the container, creating a hermetic and tamper evident seal.
Product of the Month
Clear Polystyrene Square Jars w/ Silver Caps and Clear Windows
Clear polystyrene plastic square jars with silver caps offer an elegant and unique packaging solution for lip balm or sample sized cosmetic products. Polystyrene jars feature a similar high-end appeal as glass, while maintaining the durability and structure of plastic. These polystyrene cosmetic jars provide exceptionally high clarity, high tensile strength, and impact resistance. The clear polystyrene plastic square jars are available in a compact 5 ml size and come in case packs of 144. The cosmetic jars feature silver polypropylene caps with clear windows, which allow for easy product visibility. A compatible clear PVC shrink band is also available to pair with these plastic jars for a tamper evident seal.