SKS LIP BALM TUBES & TINS As Seen in Dec. 2008 Issue of
Spa-inspired presents, including these handmade lip balms, can be created from basic kitchen ingredients and craft materials. To make more than one kind of lip balm at a time, divide the recipe in half and scent and color the batches separately. For lip balms, we like to use essential oils that have an "edible" scent, such as citrus. Beeswax pellets are available at crafts stores. Makes two .15-ounce tubes and two 1/2-ounce tins or pots.
Tools and Materials
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pellets
- 2 tablespoons carrier oil
- A few drops essential oil(s)
- Lipstick shavings in desired color
- Special equipment: heatproof glass jar, plastic pipettes, cosmetic-style plastic tubes, slide tins, or metal pots
- Put beeswax and carrier oil in jar, and close lid. Heat the jar in a pot of water over medium-low heat until wax has melted. Remove jar from pot carefully.
- Stir mixture with a metal spoon. Using a pipette, add essential oil, 1 drop at a time, until strength of scent is to your liking. Stir in lipstick shavings, 1 at a time, until desired shade is achieved and color is even throughout.
- Using another pipette, transfer lip balm to containers. Let set for 1 hour.
Top cosmetic tubes and tins with custom labels: Water-slide decal paper is clear, making the design look as though it has been printed directly onto the container.
Buy Lip Balm Containers...
We also offer many other lip balm containers and accessories,
which are available in our >> Lip Balm Suppy Index.