PLA Plastic Properties:
- - Degradation Period: Between 18 and 24 months
- - Melting Temperature: 140°F (60°C)
- - Density: 1.25 g/cm3
- - Tensile Strength: 2360 to 10000
- - Color: Clear, white
- - Clarity: Excellent
- - Barrier Charactaristics: Compared to PET, uncolored PLA bottles have approx. 8x the transmission rate for water and oxygen. Adding colorants to the resin can reduce transmission rates.
PLA Plastic Uses:
- - PLA Plastic Bottles: PLA plastic bottles provide transparency, gloss, durability and disposability options while maintaining the appearance of PET plastic.
- - PLA Plastic Jars & Threaded Containers: PLA plastic jars may be ideal for pharmaceuticals packaged in jars and lids, tubs and pots.
- - PLA Labels: PLA plastic labels run smooth and offer excellent durability, accepting a wide variety of print options with water resistance.
- - PLA Tamper Evident Bands: PLA plastic is often used for shrink sleeves, pressure sensitive liners, and other durable means to protect your product and maintain its freshness.
- - Fresh Food Packaging: Keeps food tasting and smelling fresh. PLA plastic is ideal for oil-based products, as well as products with flavor and aroma attributes. Non-fogging PLA plastic food packaging provides a visible, high gloss presentation for food products and is FDA-approved and suitable for food contact. Widely used as green packaging for dairy, juice and water bottles, as well as trays for deli meats, salads and single-serve meals.
Pricing and Lead Time:
- Pricing: Please contact us for pricing information.
- Min Qty: 50,000 pcs.
- Lead Time: 6 -8 weeks
PLA Plastic Benefits:
- - Made 100% from corn starch (in the U.S.) or sugarcane (in other parts of the world)
- - Biodegradable: Breaks down mostly into carbon dioxide and water. However, PLA will not degrade or disintegrate on shelves - in order to degrade, PLA must be exposed to temperatures greater than 140°F and relative humidity greater than 90% for approximately 60 to 80 days.
- - Can be composted within 45-90 days, while petroleum-based plastic products are estimated to require thousands of years to decompose.
- - Does not emit toxic fumes when incinerated.
- - Inexpensive: Costs may not fluctuate as much as petroleum-based resins. PLA is made from corn instead of petrochemicals, and requires significantly less energy to produce.
- Quality and costs are comparable to petroleum-based plastics, such as PET which means there are no sacrifices for the greater consumer appeal of green packaging.